After frustration with using an older version of sbcl and using asdf-install, I decided to try clbuild. clbuild is a shell script that allows me to keep my lisp environment updated. It is a little different from asdf-install, because it does not download tarballs, it gets the source code directly from their respective source code repositories.
So, the first thing I did was to get clbuild itself. For some reason, I did not have darcs installed, so I had to install that first on my Kubuntu laptop:
~$ sudo apt-get install darcs
After that, use darcs to get clbuild:
~$ darcs get http://common-lisp.net/project/clbuild/clbuild
Make clbuild executable:
~$ cd clbuild
~/clbuild$ chmod +x clbuild
As far as I can tell, you need to run clbuild from this directory. So, the next step is to do a system check:
~/clbuild$ ./clbulid check
Now, time to get an update to sbcl. With my system, sbcl is natively located in my bin directory:
~/clbuild$ which sbcl
~/clbuild$ sbcl --version
Now, using clbuild to download and compile the latest version of sbcl:
~/clbuild$ ./clbuild update sbcl
~/clbuild$ ./clbuild compile-implementation sbcl
After a long wait, an sbcl implementation was placed in ~/clbuild/target/bin. To run it, use clbuild again:
~/clbuild$ ./clbuild lisp
This is SBCL 126.96.36.199, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org>.
So, clbuild is using the newest version, but my older implementation is still there. Next time, I will set up SLIME with Emacs to point to this new target.